Currently accepting podcast press releases only. (No formal review requests).
Elena Fernández Collins is a genderfluid podcast critic, host, reporter, and forensic sociolinguist living in Portland, OR. They are the Communications & Content Manager for Simplecast, where they run the blog and social media with the goal of uplifting marginalized voices in audio. They are also the current host of Radio Drama Revival, a long-running podcast showcasing diverse audio fiction and interviewing their creators.
They started writing about podcasts on Twitter in 2017 and became deeply involved with the fiction podcast community, before transitioning to formal reviews and reporting at the Bello Collective in 2018. There, they received the support and honing of their craft that they needed to expand their repertoire and further their goals. When she is not trying to get everyone and their dog to listen to fiction podcasts, she plays a bunch of solo board games, watches horror movies as a way to cheer up, and brushes her cat’s enormous amount of fur.
She is infamous in certain writer’s rooms for the line “give me the weird shit” when asked about what she wants to hear more of in podcasting.
- Simplecast: Responsible and Hopeful Dystopias: Fun City Empowers its Players with Two DMs
- Podcast Movement
- Podcast Movement 2018: Blowing Up the Imaginary Barriers: An Brief Overview of Audio Fiction Podcasting
- The Mary Sue: 10 Indie Horror Fiction Podcasts for a Diverse Halloween
Full Portfolio on MuckRack
- Radio Drama Revival, host (2020-present)
- VALENCE: voice of Soledad Marquez, Hug House Cultural Consultant
- Empty the Queues, co-host (2020-2021)
- Podcast Pontifications: Guest host episode 245B, “The Press, Your Podcast, and All of Podcasting”
- NPR’s 1A: Lost in the World of Audio Fiction, Guest
- HowlRound Theater Commons: Growth, Impact, and Accessibility with Podcast Critic and Advocate Elena Fernández Collins
- No Bad Ideas: Guest
- Episode 107 We Are Not a Con
- Episode 108 Give Us a Sign
- Tuned In, Dialed Up: Guest
- Episode 8 Engaging Community
- Episode 15 Ethics in Podcasting
- Episode 34 PodTales Festival Discussion
- Episode 40 Spoilers Ahoy! This Sounds Serious
- Episode 48 Industry Acquisitions with Ely and Evo
- Ostium Podcast: voice of Marisol, the Pizza Delivery Person
- PodTales 2020: Virtual organizer; panel moderator for “Complicating Representation”, panel member for “Get It Out There: Marketing Your Podcast”, and live in conversation with Raul Vega “The Role of Music in Storytelling”
- Podcast Movement 2019: co-curator for the new fiction track, along with Wil Williams
- PodTales 2019: Live in Conversation with Jordan Cobb & moderator for “Invisible Bodies” panel
- International Podcast Day 2018: Audio Fiction as a Diverse Gateway into Podcasting
You must be logged in to post a comment.